The Western Wall Tunnel

by Alisa gamburg

This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

The Western Wall Tunnel

  • Joined Dec 2015
  • Published Books 1

The Western Wall Tunnel  is an underground tunnel exposing the full length of the Western Wall. The tunnel is adjaced to the Western Wall and is located under the buildings of the Old City of Jerusalem. While the open-air portion of the Western Wall is approximately 60 metres (200 ft) long, the majority of its original length is hidden underground. The tunnel allows access to an additional 485 metres  of the wall.

תוצאת תמונה עבור מנהרות הכותלתוצאת תמונה עבור מנהרות הכותלתוצאת תמונה עבור מנהרות הכותל

 

2

In 19 BCE, King Herod undertook a project to double the area of the Temple Mount in Jerusalem by incorporating part of the hill on the Northwest. In order to do so, four retaining walls were constructed, and the Temple Mount was expanded on top of them. These retaining walls remained standing, along with the platform itself, after the Temple was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE.

Since then much of the area next to the walls became covered and built upon. Part of the Western Wall remained exposed after the destruction of the Temple. Since it was the closest area to the Temple’s Holy of Holies that remained accessible, it became a place of Jewish prayer for millennia.

תוצאת תמונה עבור מנהרות הכותל

 

3

British researchers started excavating the Western Wall in the mid 19th century. Charles Wilson began the excavations in 1864 and was followed by Charles Warren in 1867-1870. Wilson discovered an arch now named for him, “Wilson’s Arch” which was 12.8 metres wide and is above present-day ground level. It is believed that the arch supported a bridge which connected the Temple Mount to the city during the Second Temple Period. Warren dug shafts through Wilson’s Arch which are still visible today.

תוצאת תמונה עבור מנהרות הכותל

4

After the Six Day War, the Ministry of Religious Affairs of Israel began the excavations aimed at exposing the continuation of the Western Wall. The excavations lasted almost twenty years and revealed many previously unknown facts about the history and geography of the Temple Mount. The excavations were difficult to conduct, as the tunnels ran below residential neighborhoods constructed on top of ancient structures from the Second Temple Period. The excavations were conducted with the supervision of scientific and rabbinic experts. This was to ensure both the stability of the structures above and to prevent damaging the historic artifacts. In 1988, the Western Wall Heritage Foundation was formed, it took over the excavation, maintenance and renovations of the Western Wall and Western Wall Plaza.

תוצאת תמונה עבור מנהרות הכותל

5

The tunnel exposes a total length of 485 m of the wall, revealing the methods of construction and the various activities in the vicinity of the Temple Mount. The excavations included many archaeological finds along the way, including discoveries from the Herodian period (streets, monumental masonry), sections of a reconstruction of the Western Wall dating to the Umayyad period, and various structures dating to the Ayyubid, Mamluke and Hasmonean periods constructed to support buildings in the vicinity of the Temple Mount.

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪Western Wall Tunnel‬‏

6

“Warren’s Gate” lies about 150 feet (46 m) into the tunnel. This sealed-off entrance was for hundreds of years a small synagogue called “The Cave”, where the early Muslims allowed the Jews to pray in close proximity to the ruins of the Temple. Rabbi Yehuda Getz built a synagogue just outside the gate, since today it is the closest point a Jew can pray near to the Holy of Holies, assuming it was located at the traditional site under the Dome of the Rock.

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪Western Wall Tunnel‬‏

7

At the northern portion of the Western Wall, remains were found of a water channel that originally supplied water to the Temple Mount. The exact source of the channel is unknown, though it passes through an underground pool known as the “Struthion Pool”. The water channel was dated to the Hasmonean period and was accordingly dubbed the “Hasmonean Channel”.

תמונה קשורה

8

he biggest stone in the Western Wall, often called the Western Stone, is also revealed within the tunnel, and ranks as one of the heaviest objects ever lifted by human beings without powered machinery. The stone has a length of 13.6 metres (45 ft), height of 3 metres (9.8 ft), and an estimated width of between 3.5 metres (11 ft) and 4.5 metres (15 ft); estimates place its weight at 570 short tons (520 metric tons).

תמונה קשורה

9
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content