Dust in The Wind by Nicole Shemesh - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Dust in The Wind

  • Joined Dec 2021
  • Published Books 1

Dust in the Wind

 

By Kansas

 

 

 

 

Popular Music Course

2021

 

Nicole Shemesh

2
Dust in The Wind by Nicole Shemesh - Ourboox.com

The song was recorded in July 1977, later released on January 16, 1978.

 

Written by Kerry Livgren.

 

Performed by the band Kansas:

 

Steve Walsh – lead vocals
Kerry Livgren – acoustic guitar
Rich Williams – acoustic guitar
Robby Steinhardt – violin, viola, backing and harmony vocals
Phil Ehart – hand drums

 

The song started out as a random melody from a finger exercise, for learning fingerpicking on the guitar- eventually turned out to be a timeless popular song!

 

4

Lyrics

 

I close my eyes
Only for a moment, and the moment’s gone
All my dreams
Pass before my eyes, a curiosity

 

Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind

 

Same old song
Just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do
Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

 

Dust in the wind

All we are is dust in the wind
Oh

 

Now, don’t hang on
Nothin’ lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away
And all your money won’t another minute buy

 

Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind
(All we are is dust in the wind)
Dust in the wind
(Everything is dust in the wind)
Everything is dust in the wind
The wind

5
Dust in The Wind by Nicole Shemesh - Ourboox.com

The song is written as a continuous thought occurring inside a mind, put into words along music.

It presents a story told in a raw and authentic manner by the speaker. There, he expresses his deepest thoughts About human desires and self-worth, along with the struggles in being a human with dreams on this earth.

 

The song feels wistful, almost like dreaming a dream, leading us in thought towards the mysteries and depth of life’s purpose.

 

It also creates empathy where listeners can relate and identify with the feelings and ideas the song relies upon..

 

All we are is dust in the wind…”

 

The use of a plural form “we“, “all” is inviting us to feel a part of the universal thoughts of the effort in chasing our dreams, while facing reality in the race of life- hoping to never give up on them.

7
Dust in The Wind by Nicole Shemesh - Ourboox.com

Broad agreement!

 

 

 

the song was certified three times platinum by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America).

 

 

 

9

Rhythm: the song is in 4-4 time, consistent rhythm.

 

Melody: repetitive, easily recognizable and catchy.

 

The tone is not too high or low, and very soothing.

 

Vocal Harmony: background voices, second voice is noticeable in the second verse where the lyrics change to plural form “we”, “all”, which enhances the togetherness and sharing between the singer and listeners.

 

Instrumental Harmony: most of the song is played on the acoustic guitar, until an instrumental section where a viola and violin are added. This addition contributes to depth, complexity of the melody and an element of surprise. Towards the end of the song, the hand drums appear- adding authenticity, a beat and rhythm.

10

Pentatonic Scales: a wide use of them throughout the song catches the ear.

 

Lyrics: are simple and honest, consist of short words with long vowels in compatibility with the music, as well as repetition of the phrase: “Dust in the Wind” all throughout..

 

Musical tricks: key change

some key changes appear in the song; the prominent one is a modulation right at the entrance to the second verse:

“same old song…”

 

Singer and Voice: the singer expresses the songs emotions through his voice and singing. He has a clear, smooth and tender voice, adding to the illusion of the dreamlike song. The singer plays with the vocal range as well, showcasing rise and fall of pitch.

11

Some diverse covers:

 

Sarah Brightman 1998

 

 

 

 

Scorpions 2001

 

12

Paula Fernandes 2007

 

 

 

Sershen&Zaritskaya 2018

 

13
Dust in The Wind by Nicole Shemesh - Ourboox.com

The song leaves us in thoughts about our existence on this earth and of the impact our dreams have on our lives.

 

Are we just dust in the wind? Do we matter?

Is everything we dream about is so relentlessly vague and meaningless?

 

To me, the underlining message embodied in the song, is opposite of the plain written lyrics.

 

We are what we dream, and our dreams make us who we are as beings on this earth. Even though we may feel hopeless, small and powerless against time and nature, we still matter.  Rather than just existing, dreams allow us to hope, live life to the fullest and fulfill ourselves along the journey.

 

Now, are we “just a drop of water in an endless sea” of people or worthless dreams?

I believe not.

we are the endless sea,

just in one little drop.

15
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content