Christmas by Cvetan Danailov - Illustrated by Christmas - Ourboox.com
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Christmas

by

Artwork: Christmas

  • Joined Dec 2022
  • Published Books 1

Christmas is celebrated on December 25 and is both a sacred religious holiday and a worldwide cultural and commercial phenomenon. For two millennia, people around the world have been observing it with traditions and practices that are both religious and secular in nature. Christians celebrate Christmas Day as the anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, a spiritual leader whose teachings form the basis of their religion. Popular customs include exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending church, sharing meals with family and friends and, of course, waiting for Santa Claus to arrive. December 25—Christmas Day—has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1870.

2

Christmas

3

Who Invented Santa Claus?

The legend of Santa Claus can be traced back to a monk named St. Nicholas who was born in Turkey around 280 A.D.. St. Nicholas gave away all of his inherited wealth and traveled the countryside helping the poor and sick, becoming known as the protector of children and sailors.

 

 

t. Nicholas first entered American popular culture in the late 18th century in New York, when Dutch families gathered to honor the anniversary of the death of “Sint Nikolaas” (Dutch for Saint Nicholas), or “Sinter Klaas” for short. “Santa Claus” draws his name from this abbreviation.

4

santa-claus-kids - Edsys

5

Christmas Facts

  • Each year, 30-35 million real Christmas trees are sold in the United States alone. There are about 21,000 Christmas tree growers in the United States, and trees usually grow for about 15 years before they  are sold.

  • In the Middle Ages, Christmas celebrations were rowdy and raucous—a lot like today’s Mardi Gras parties.

  • When Christmas was cancelled: From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was outlawed in boston, and law-breakers were fined five shillings.

  • Christmas was declared a federal holiday in the United States on June 26, 1870.

6

Dutch Christmas traditions, songs, and activities | Expatica

7

How Did Christmas Trees Start?

Long before the advent of Christianity, plants and trees that remained green all year had a special meaning for people in the winter. Just as people today decorate their homes during the festive season with pine, spruce, and fir trees, ancient peoples hung evergreen boughs over their doors and windows. In many countries it was believed that evergreens would keep away witches, ghosts, evil spirits, and illness.

 

8

In the Northern hemisphere, the shortest day and longest night of the year falls on December 21 or December 22 and is called the winter solstice. Many ancient people believed that the sun was a god and that winter came every year because the sun god had become sick and weak. They celebrated the solstice because it meant that at last the sun god would begin to get well. Evergreen boughs reminded them of all the green plants that would grow again when the sun god was strong and summer would return.

9

Christmas Traditions Worldwide

 

Finland: ‘Hyvää Joulua!’

Many Finns visit the sauna on Christmas Eve. Families gather and listen to the national “Peace of Christmas” radio broadcast. It is customary to visit the gravesites of departed family members.

Mexico: ‘Feliz Navidad!’

In 1828, the American minister to Mexico, Joel R. Poinsett, brought a red-and-green plant from Mexico to America. As its coloring seemed perfect for the new holiday, the plants, which were called Poinsettias after Poinsett, began appearing in greenhouses as early as 1830. In 1870, New york stores began to sell them at Christmas. 

10

 

 

14 Christmas decorations from around the world – Travels With The Crew

11

 Some of our favorite Christmas movies

 

42 Best Disney Christmas Movies - Disney+ Christmas Movies to Watch NowTop 10 Christmas Movies On Netflix: Best Christmas Movies to Watch - Oh My Creative

12

Some of The best Traditional Christmas Foods around the world

Roast Beef Tenderloin
christmas foods a white platter with peppercorn beef tenderloin
At the end of The Grinch, the title character carves a many-limbed “roast beast” as the guest of honor. My mouth starts to salivate every time I watch him passing that platter. If you’re a meat-eater, there’s just no more appropriate dish for a big holiday feast than a showstopper of a roast.
13

Chocolate and Peppermint

White Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Chocolate Cookies - Cooking Classy

Peppermint bark. Peppermint hot cocoa. Mint chocolate chip ice cream. If there’s a better combination than chocolate and peppermint, it’s never tickled my tastebuds. 

14

Sugar Cookies

christmas food a plate of star and christmas tree shape cookies

At my house, it just isn’t Christmas until we roll out my great grandma’s cut-out cookies

15

 Roast Turkey and Gravy

One of the secrets to a moist, delicious, and beautiful turkey is spreading butter under the skin, says Chef John. You can season the butter any way you want; the possibilities are endless.

16

Panettone

 

Panettone - Italian Christmas Cake

There are plenty of legends on how panettone became associated with Christmas. Some say the sweet Milanese bread was developed in the 1400s by the Duke’s falconer and his love Adalgisa, a poor baker’s daughter. Working in secret at night, the two created a rich bread that revived the bakery’s business. 

17

Here is some recipes

 

  Dinner Beef Tenderloin Roast

  • 3-lb highest quality cut beef tenderloin roast

  • Kosher salt

  • Ground black pepper

  • Baking soda

  • Olive oil

  • Baby red potatoes

  • Scallions

  • Fresh garlic cloves

  • Smoked paprika

18

Roast Turkey and Gravy

  • 1(12 to 14 lb) whole turkey, thawed if frozen

  • 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

  • 1teaspoon salt

  • 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  • 3sprigs fresh rosemary

  • 2sprigs fresh thyme

  • 2sprigs fresh sage

  • 2sprigs fresh oregano

  • 1lemon, halved

  • 2carrots, halved

  • 4celery stalks, halved

  • 1carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken broth (4 cups)

  • 4cups water

19

Chocolate and Peppermint

 

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened 1 stick equals 1/2 cup)

  • 3/4 cup sugar

  • 1 large egg

  • 1/4 tsp natural peppermint extract

  • 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (or whole-wheat pastry)

  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

  • 1 candy cane (finely crushed)

  • 1/3 cup dark, bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips

20

Sugar Cookies

 

 

  • 1 1/2cups powdered sugar

  • 1cup butter, softened

  • 1teaspoon vanilla

  • 1/2teaspoon almond extract

  • 1egg

  • 2 1/2cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour

  • 1teaspoon baking soda

  • 1teaspoon cream of tartar

  • 3cups powdered sugar

  • 3to 5 tablespoons milk

  • 1/4teaspoon vanilla

21

The history of Christmas presents

 

 

Like many popular Christmas traditions, people have been exchanging gifts for a very long time. Even though trends and tastes in gifts may change, the gesture of acquiring, preparing, and bestowing something of value to friends and family is something that has been honoured by people all over the world in celebration of the festive period for thousands of years.

 

22

2022 Gift Guide: The best gifts under $100 - CBS NewsChristmas gift ideas for £10 or less - Visit Plymouth

23

These presents are also left in different places! In most of Europe, the presents are left in shoes or boots put out by the children. In Italy, the UK and the USA presents are left in stockings, often left hanging by a fire place. In many countries, presents for friends and family may be left under the Christmas tree. In the UK, they are often opened on Christmas day morning with all the family together

 

Presents are opened on different days over the world as well. The earliest presents are opened is on St. Nicholas’ Eve on December 5th when children in Th Netherlands of ten receive their presents. On St. Nicholas’ Day (6th December) children in Belgium, Germany, Czechia and some other European countries open some of their presents.

24

How to choose the right Christmas gift: tips from psychological researchExploring Christmas Traditions from Decorated Trees to Gift-Giving

25

3 Things You May Not Know About “Jingle Bells”

       

 1. J.P. Morgan’s uncle wrote “Jingle Bells.”

        Sheet music of Jingle bells. (Credit: Brasil2)

Born in 1822, songwriter James Lord Pierpont composed the music and wrote the lyrics for the holiday standard. His older sister, Juliet, married millionaire Junius Spencer Morgan, and their oldest child, John Pierpont Morgan, followed his father into the banking business and became one of the most powerful financiers of the Gilded Age.
26

 

Jingle Bells with Lyrics | Christmas Songs HD | Christmas Songs and Carols  - YouTube

27

2. “Jingle Bells” was not intended to be a Christmas song.

              Winter sleigh ride, Prince Edward Island, Canada. (Credit: Barrett & MacKay)

Winter sleigh ride, Prince Edward Island, Canada. (Credit: Barrett & MacKay)

Although “Jingle Bells” is now a Yuletide staple, there is no mention of Christmas or any other holiday in the song. Some historical accounts report that the tune was first performed for a Thanksgiving service at the church of either Pierpont’s father or brother, but the lyrics might have been too risqué for an ecclesiastical audience. Given the songwriter’s rebellious nature, it shouldn’t be surprising that “Jingle Bells” has a bit of a rebel-without-a-cause attitude. The less-known verses of the song describe picking up girls, drag-racing on snow and a high-speed crash. The lyrics “go it while you’re young” in the final verse of the secular standard is hardly about a holy or silent night.
28

3. “Jingle Bells” was the first song ever broadcast from space.

 

Astronauts Walter M. Schirra Jr. (seated), command pilot, and Thomas P. Stafford, pilot, Gemini 6 prime crew, go through suiting up exercises in preparation for their forthcoming flight. (Credit: Public Domain)

Astronauts Walter M. Schirra Jr. (seated), command pilot, and Thomas P. Stafford, pilot, Gemini 6 prime crew, go through suiting up exercises in preparation for their forthcoming flight.

 

29

Some beautiful Christmas poems

Little Tree by e.e. cummings

little tree
little silent Christmas tree
you are so little
you are more like a flower
who found you in the green forest
and were you very sorry to come away?
see i will comfort you
because you smell so sweetly
i will kiss your cool bark
and hug you safe and tight
just as your mother would,
only don’t be afraid
look the spangles
that sleep all the year in a dark box
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine,
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,
put up your little arms
and i’ll give them all to you to hold
every finger shall have its ring
and there won’t be a single place dark or unhappy…

30

  Winter Time by Rovert Louis Stevenson

 

Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,   
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;   
Blinks but an hour or two; and then,   
A blood-red orange, sets again.   
   
Before the stars have left the skies,
At morning in the dark I rise;   
And shivering in my nakedness,   
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.   
   
Close by the jolly fire I sit   
To warm my frozen bones a bit;
Or with a reindeer-sled, explore   
The colder countries round the door.   
   
When to go out, my nurse doth wrap   
Me in my comforter and cap;   
The cold wind burns my face, and blows
Its frosty pepper up my nose.   
   
Black are my steps on silver sod;   
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;   
And tree and house, and hill and lake,   
Are frosted like a wedding-cake.
31
This free e-book was created with
Ourboox.com

Create your own amazing e-book!
It's simple and free.

Start now

Ad Remove Ads [X]
Skip to content